MY BUSINESS EXPO DURBAN 2017
The Companies Tribunal exhibited at My Business Expo Durban 2017 on 22 June in Durban. The Expo which saw thousands (7706) of entrepreneurs packing the massive Durban Exhibition Centre was organized by the National Small Business Chamber (NSBC) in association with the World Famous Events.
The NSBC is a non-profit membership organisation established in 2007, it has national footprint of over 125 000 SMEs and fifty partners. The NSBC is one of the strategic stakeholders identified by the Tribunal to reach out to SMMEs. NSBC plays an important role in fostering the sustainability and growth of the SME sector, driving job creation, alleviating unemployment and nurturing the country’s entrepreneurial spirit.
The expo was a great opportunity to market and educate entrepreneurs about services of the Tribunal. The Expo provided the Tribunal an opportunity to reach out to entrepreneurs coming from all over SA and more particularly in KwaZulu-Natal. In his opening presentation Mr Mark Anderson who is the founder of NSBC told delegates that they shouldn’t over think and wait for perfect conditions and it is when you take action that your ideas don’t remain worthless. Mr Mark Anderson was followed a strong panel of presenters which covered the following topics:
- Show me the money, Practical advice for addressing the challenges of access to finance and tips on securing the finance you need. – by Darlene Menzies, Finfind – CEO
- Fast_track your success with social media, Discover how to harness the power of social media in your small business with practical strategies – by Leanne Rhodes, NSBC – Head of Creative & Social Media
- Growing beyond borders, A short talk on the benefits of trading internationally and how easy it is to do so. – by Carla Ferreira, DHL Relationship Channel Manager, South Africa
- Commercialising and profiting from your intellectual property, Important legal considerations for your small business – by Amina Suliman, Adams & Adams – KZN Patent Attorney
- It’s not all about the money – by Iniel Dreyer, Gabsten – Managing Director
- Cybercrime in South Africa – by David Leigh Ribeiro, Territory Manager, Middle East and Africa at Norton by Symantec
- How to prepare your business to be funding ready – by Lefentse Chapman, ABSA – Provincial Manager for Enterprise and Supplier Development (ESD), KZN
- Digital strategy for SME’s – by Colin Timmis Xero, Head of Accounting, South Africa
- Financial freedom is our purpose – by Amanda Khoza, Liberty Divisional Director: Transformation & Inclusion
The Tribunal exhibited and received a number of questions about its mandate, how the Tribunal adjudicates on directorship disputes, cost of Tribunal services and accessibility of the Tribunal.
Other government institutions that exhibited was the department of trade and Industry (thedti), the National Metrology Institute of SA, UIF and other 80 private companies. The Expo provided entrepreneurs a platform to gain valuable, practical insights to grow, learn, connect and network, it also gave the Tribunal maximum exposure.
Delegates listening attentively to a presentation by Mr Mark Anderson founder of the NSBC